An overloading electrical circuit is a serious issue. All electricity creates heat as it passes through the wires if a circuit is overloaded the there can be a heat buildup. This can melt the plastic coating off the wires, causing a fire, or allowing a live current to be present which could shock anyone who touches the circuit.
That’s why it is important you recognize the signs of an overloaded circuit and have the number of a good electrician Sydney to hand, to resolve the issue properly for you.
Even if the issue has been caused by too many appliances being plugged in at the same time it is worth getting the experts in; they can add a circuit to your home and make it safe for you.
Before you do anything else it is a good idea to visually inspect your home on a regular basis. You’ll be looking for anywhere that has multiple items plugged into one outlet, especially if there are extensions plugged into extensions.
You should also check the sockets for any signs of browning as this can indicate they have got hot and there could be an issue.
Read Also: How to Reduce Electricity Bills of Your Home
Here are the 3 warning signs you need to know:
1. Flickering Lights
The lighting circuit is generally rated lower than the circuits with sockets on. This means they’ll be affected by disruptions in power first. If you’re light often flicker and there seems to be no obvious cause then there is a good chance you have an overloaded circuit.
It doesn’t need to be the lighting circuit; you’ll have to identify it by trial and error.
2. Burning Smell
When you smell electrical burning in your home then you know you have an issue. The smell of electrical burning is quite distinctive, a mixture of plastic melting and heat.
It means that wires are melting and a short or a fire is likely. If you can identify the circuit shut it down if you can’t shut down all your power until you can identify it or the experts arrive.
3. Tripping Circuits
Most modern homes have breakers that trip in a fraction of a second. This is great for safety. If you find that a particular breaker keeps tripping then you have a problem on that circuit. This could be a short in the supply but it could also be an overloaded circuit; especially if the trip happens when you plug a specific device in.
If this is the case then you should shut off the circuit immediately and seek specialist help. When it comes to electricity it really is better to be safe than sorry.
There are other small signs that can suggest you have an overloaded circuit. A buzzing sound from the socket, or a small electrical shock when you plug something in suggests there is a problem in the circuit, which could be an overload or another issue.
If you’re ever unsure it is worth checking.