There are always new tools coming out to make people’s computing lives easier. Whether they be upgrades to existing features, capacity improvements, or increased speed of delivery, we should always keep our eyes peeled for the latest software developments.
One of the things people should be thinking about to improve their data storage efficiency is deduplication software.
What is deduplication?
Deduplication is a process of removing redundant data from a dataset. It involves the use of an assessment tool to identify duplicate data and eliminate it. According to Microsoft, deduplication serves to ensure users of two things:
- That data may be optimized according to a given data deduplication model. In doing this, once-optimized data is unoptimized so that it can be rewritten according to deduplication principles. This ensures that any aspects of optimization that might have prevented efficient writing to a given disk will be eliminated.
- Data access will remain as intended for users and across associated applications. The process of deduplication should not disrupt users’ ability to access and utilize data.
The deduplication process works by identifying “byte patterns.” Its aim is to establish a single byte pattern of a given data set and ensure that it is correct. Once this byte pattern is established, further data will be redirected towards the same pattern.
How does this work? First, the overall capacity size of a given database must be determined. Then, the software works to determine the size of logs. Logs are files that contain information about the activity recorded on an operating system or server. They serve as an indication of the effectiveness of a system’s overall functioning. If an operating system or server is having problems, they will be indicated on the log files.
Logs are divided into three types:
- Availability logs
- Resource logs
- Threat logs
Next, deduplication works on nodes. Nodes are the points of connection in any given system. These are the points through which data transmission takes place, and they are programmed to carry out this activity. During the deduplication process, the software examines the nodes in any given file or sets of files that contain data which may or may not need to be deduplicated.
The benefits of deduplication are many. Not only does it help manage storage space, but the costs associated with storage are accordingly reduced, as well.
Different levels of deduplication
Data deduplication exists on different levels. The most basic type is deduplication of files. What this means is that the software works only on individual files during any given process. There is also deduplication of blocks, or whole groups of files, that can be undertaken as a single process.
When deduplication takes place, data is moved in “chunks” and have special identification markers on them known as “reparse points” which serve as indicators that any given datum belongs to a particular chunk.
Best deduplication software in 2022
So, let’s take a look at some of the top performers in deduplication software this year and what makes them stand out among the rest.
Starwind Deduplication Analyzer
The Starwind Deduplication Analyzer gets top points by its users. Here are some of its outstanding features:
- It is a tool, rather than a software program, and utilizes an in-line deduplication process. It allows users to see optimization ratios as the process is taking place.
- It allows for shared storage from different hosts by means of utilizing the Starwind SAN. The SAN is virtual software that acts as a substitute to physical storage. It does this by the process of “mirroring” different local storages together.
- It is very user-friendly and adaptable to different kinds of systems.
- It is very efficient in that it reduces backup size and improves system performance.
- It allows users to easily determine the size of data blocks.
Dell PowerProtect DD
Dell PowerProtect DD (Data Domain) has been given high marks by users for a number of reasons:
- It is user-friendly and known for having a straightforward interface. It can be used by non-techies with relative ease.
- It offers a solid backup system and security.
- It includes encryption and disaster recovery replication, which gives users greater confidence in the system’s continued functioning in the event of a problem.
- It is flexible and broad enough to operate within multiple clouds and is easily scalable across different ecosystems.
- Its operating system is known for efficiency and reliability.
Talend Data Quality
Another popular choice this year is Talend Data Quality. Talend gets high marks for the following features:
- It utilizes machine learning-powered data recommendations. This significantly reduces the possibility of human error in the process.
- It has an easily navigable interface with very clear visual elements.
- It has the ability to combine its own software with other ones during the deduplication process, which allows for external identifications to be incorporated where applicable.
- It has a high security level.
- It is easily customizable for users.
There are many options for data deduplication as people and businesses all hope to streamline their systems, and a close analysis of your needs should help you make an appropriate choice.
If you’re looking for ease of use, the Starwind Duplication Analyzer is the clear choice as it frees you from the need to download cumbersome software.
Keep your eyes open for future advancements
Solutions are constantly being updated, and 2023 is sure to bring yet more updates to existing programs. Keep an eye out for the features mentioned above and variations of them, and you’ll be sure to make a wise choice when it comes to optimizing your data.