FileVault is encryption software that comes installed with every Mac, and it does not work on Windows. It is an excellent tool that guarantees to protect your device and the data within it. Once you have set up this tool, it will prevent unauthorized access and safeguard your device. You can enable this tool by clicking the Apple menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > FileVault tab > clicking the lock icon and entering admin credentials or using the Touch ID > clicking Turn On FileVault.
There are several FileVault disk encryption pros and cons. But one major pro is that if your device is lost or stolen, no one can access your data, and one major con is that if you forget your password, you will be in deep trouble. You will be locked out of accessing your data.
FileVault is not the only encryption software available in the marketplace. There are others that work on Windows, Mac, and Linux OS systems. Let’s take a look at the alternatives.
Apple’s FileVault 2 is integrated into the Mac operating system like FileVault. It can be accessed easily from System Preferences > Security & Privacy configurations. The software uses XTS-AES-128 encryption with a 256-bit key.
The features of the software include:
● Fuss-free lost password recovery. You can use a recovery key or set up an iCloud account to recover lost encryption passwords.
● Several encryption options where you can use startup volume and user directory encryption.
● The password option is convenient, and you can use your Apple or iCloud user ID login as the password for decryption.
The tool’s pros include using a unique and separate password from the login ID, no need to download or install any additional software, and being user-friendly.
Although this software works alright, it cannot handle multiple users on a single machine. Also, if you don’t implement FileVault correctly, it might damage some files.
Boxcryptor protects the form of encryption to all the cloud files. Therefore, you do not need to worry about the security of your files stored on a remote server.
There’s also a Windows Desktop Application available for this software. The software creates an encrypted folder that a password will protect. The files you want to upload to the cloud can be placed in this folder. Then, you can place the encrypted folder on whichever cloud storage you want.
The software uses the standard AES-256 bit encryption algorithm for protecting data. Furthermore, it offers support to more than thirty cloud services. When using this software, you do not have to face compatibility problems.
Micro Focus ZENworks FDE
Micro Focus offers the ZENworks Full Disk Encryption solution for enforcing and managing endpoint full-disk encryption. In the ZENworks product family, the other tools included are solutions for configuration, tracking, endpoint management, and security via a single web-based console.
Some of the features of the software are:
● Prevention of device startup without the right password.
● Authentication options for booting encrypted drives include login credentials or PIN.
● IT admins offer remote unlocking devices, emergency recovery, and decommissioning of a device or drive.
AxCrypt is a powerful encryption software available for free. However, it is open-source software, and a paid version is available. Obviously, the premium version offers more advanced features than the free version for protecting your devices.
AxCrypt was first released in 2001, and Svante Sleborg developed it. The software is capable of quickly and efficiently encrypting and decrypting files. But this is its most essential feature. Besides this, the software offers features that help users to edit and delete files, compress files, etc.
The program takes the approach of file-based encryption software, meaning it will protect all your single files individually. However, unlike other encryption software, the software does not put multiple protected files into a single container.
Symantec Endpoint Encryption
Symantec Endpoint Encryption by Broadcom offers a wide range of integration options via a centralized management platform. It starts with full-disk encryption for macOS and Windows devices.
Some of the features of the software include:
● It has a centralized management system for encryption keys.
● There are powerful recovery options to let IT help desk staff quickly recover lost encryption keys.
● The software offers a proprietary encryption algorithm, which is based on PGP.
● PGP command line encryption safeguards data exchange between external and internal parties.
● The software provides third-party encryption compatibility for Apple FileVault 2, Microsoft BitLocker, and OPAL-compliant self-encrypting storage devices.
● Several encryption options are offered for external hard drives, removable media, emails, folders, and files.
These FileVault alternatives are some of the most powerful encryption software that you can use to protect your files and essential data. But you must remember to store the encryption password safely. Of course, there are others like AEs Crypt, TokenEX, Sophos Safeguard and VeraCrypt that are also worth looking into.