Modern designs are one of the most popular styles in home improvement. Despite wanting to make changes for their properties, many homeowners don’t make improvements thinking that it will cost a waterfall of cash. Fortunately, you can achieve a modern-looking home without the need of spending thousands. Before you try any expensive and time-consuming changes, here are a few tips and ideas that you can try.
- Select a Theme – Modern design is a broad term for styles for home design. Because it’s scope is broad, it’s somewhat hard to define. However, there are a few common characteristics with this particular type of style. Modern styles feature clean lines, smooth edges, and simple color palettes. When aiming for a modern-looking home, it’s best to have a specific theme in mind. For instance, one of the most popular styles in modern design is minimalist, which emphasizes simplicity and limited colour palette.
- Focus on Simplicity – Because simplicity is one of the modern style’s defining qualities, you’ll want to keep your home as simple as possible. To do this, you’ll need to start removing excess clutter from your home. Start in one room at a time, and decide whether a decoration or furniture adds to the modern aesthetic. Decluttering also helps create a clean slate for you to work on for next home improvement projects.
- Paint With Neutral Colours – One of the most crucial steps in making your home into a modern-looking house, you’ll need to consider painting the walls. Paint is cheap and easy to use. For the colours, you’ll want to prioritise neutral and earthy shades. They can match most furniture and decorations, which can help you avoid buying new ones only to match your new walls’ colour palette. Using monochromatic colours also creates a simple yet polished look. If you’re still unsure, you may want to look at the themes or styles of houses in magazines, shows, and on the internet that you’d like to copy.
- Pay Attention to Your Backyard – Your backyard is an important area of your home. With a few improvements, you can turn it into a modern-looking patio. For starters, you’ll want to build a deck for your outdoor living space. For modern styles, wood and natural-looking decks are the best. Wood decking will always be an excellent option due to its price and appearance. However, they do have a few advantages that you need to keep in mind. Alternatively, you can choose to build composite decking. They are as beautiful and natural-looking as wood decks. They may be more expensive, but composite decks have a lot of advantages over wood as well.
- Add A Few Plants – Plants are excellent pieces of decoration for modern style homes, even in the inside of your homes. When choosing indoor plants, choose low-maintenance varieties. Plant them in simple planter boxes. Since buying a full-grown plant can be expensive, you may opt to grow your own. Designer pots can also be costly. So instead of spending a lot for them, you can follow DIY guides on how to make your own. Not only is it cheaper, but you can also recycle objects in your home.
- Don’t Forget Natural Lighting – A carefully-designed lighting scheme can make a huge difference in making your home modern looking. Not only can it be used to give light, but lighting can also enhance certain features of your home. However, when aiming for a more modern style, remember to let in natural light as well. Open a few windows and decorate them with simple curtains, shades, and drapes. If you don’t have a lot of windows to work with, you can place mirrors in front of your windows. It increases natural lighting and can make smaller spaces appear more spacious.
- Create a Statement – Because of the simple and straightforward designs, a modern-looking home can look plain. To counter this, you’ll need to have an eye-catching focal point. A cheap yet attention-grabbing artwork or a tall, unique potted plant works as excellent focal points. For the exterior, a DIY fire pit or garden structure works well.